Anonymous asks:

How can I help my children deal with separation for their father?

My children's father won't see them, talk to them or visit them after I left him. My children are often miss him and I have to call him just to have him talk to them. He says he loves them and wants to be with them and makes no effort to show up.
In Topics: Fatherhood, Single parent families, Divorce Issues
> 60 days ago



Apr 19, 2013
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

I'm sorry your children are experiencing this. I know you are hurting for them and want to do what's best.

Tell your children that their Dad loves them. Explain that sometimes separation and divorce causes people to do unusual things, and you don't know why their Dad isn't spending time with them, but do know that he loves them. That's really all you can do, except, if you talk with your ex-spouse, explain that it would be great if you could schedule a time for him to visit with them.

Good luck with this, and don't share your sorrows or worries with the kids- find your own support network, and don't forget to take care of yourself.

Kindest Regards,

Shirley Cress Dudley, MA LPC NCC FACMPE
Founder and Executive Director of The Blended and Step Family Resource Center.
Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

Show me another question in this topic

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely