Xannie
Xannie asks:
Q:

I need some comments or tips about High School! Please help!!!

Hi!
I'm about to enter a new school that I will be staying at for the remainder of my education before college.

I want to be successful both intellectually and socially in school, which is a bit self-contradicting because unfortunately in these times it's hard to stay afloat socially and be able to concentrate on school as much as I would like to. In the past, I was tagged "antisocial" and put through hell because I was always reading or studying for a test, ect. In 5'th grade I didn't work on schoolwork much because I was trying too hard for me to stay high up there in the bloody popularity contest! Balancing the two is very hard because drift slightly either way and you're a hopeless nerd or a evil female dog who's out to get everyone.

Any tips or comments would be very highly appreciated!!!!

Thank you so much!
-Xannie
In Topics: Bullying and teasing, Friendships and peer relationships, Children and stress

|

Hi Xannie!

You sound like a very intelligent and hardworking young lady. It sounds like you are very aware of the cliques and labels kids tend to place on each other and themselves. But as you have experienced, popularity is not all it is cracked up to be either. Constantly worrying about being in the right group and how you are perceived by others can be an obstacle to happiness and contentment.

Be true to yourself. Involve yourself in activities which bring you joy and a sense of purpose. Work hard to do your best, without comparing yourself to others. Treat others the way you would like to be treated. By following these steps you will most likely meet others with similar interests and values.

If you would like to talk with a counselor about this or any other issue, please call our toll-free hotline at: 1-800-448-3000, or e-mail us at: hotline@boystown.org
We are here 24 hours, 7 days a week. You can also check out our website for teens: www.yourlifeyourvoice.org

Take care and best wishes to you!

Cynthia, Crisis Counselor
1-800-448-3000

1
0
salfam

Best Answer!

From the information you've given, it seems to me that social/academic clubs might provide the balance you're looking for. What organizations or clubs are available: a speech team? a math or science or book club? honors classes? knowledge bowl? language clubs? You can be social and learning at the same time. Good luck to you!

1
0

BigSis
BigSis writes:
I really liked the "best answer" that was chosen- you should be able to nurture your intellectual as well as social needs if you decide to participate in an academic club.

If you decide not to join a club, the best advice that I can give you is just be yourself. If you are happiest reading and studying- then do it! When you go to college, a whole new world filled with a wide variety of people will open up to you. Maybe high school is just not your scene. Hopefully, college will be able to provide you with the balance that you've been seeking.

Good luck :)

2
0
erinstabile
erinstabile writes:
Xannie
School is tough. But learning IS WAY more important than having a huge social life. The better you do in high school the better the college, the scholarships etc. I was generally friends with everyone and played the sports i liked, i worked, and still was able to graduate early. I had a few close friends and spent my time doing things i liked. I didnt try and fit in to things i didnt like or change my beliefs. Being someone who didnt drink or do drugs i avoided those situations. You will do great. Just stay true to yourself!

0
0
LouiseSattler , Child Professional writes:
Hello!  Check out http://www.Annie_Fox.com for real solutions to school problems with her Ask Terra feature too...

0
0
Magels
Magels writes:
ignore those who try to bully you and see how thy react

0
0