tea63
tea63 asks:
Q:

how to communicate

Hello..my 15yr old daughter nearly always seem to snap at me when i go into her room to ask her something- usually it is something that would be beneficial for her like do you want a drink. Often she has earphones on so i can't knock as she won't hear. Tonight i just go in to say goodnight and get snapped at that she is busy doing her homework. Shouldn't i be able to get a civil tone- i know that when i am focused on pc or whatever i feel annoyed at being interrupted too so can relate. I am sure i am not like that to her though. I would like to ask her not to be cranky...or should i approach it differently?
In Topics: Teen issues, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

It is important to have open communication with your 15 year old daughter. The best time to approach her will be at a neutral time when things are going well between both of you, like driving together in the car or at meal time.  Let her know that it upsets you when she talks to you like that.  Then ask her if there is something specifically that causes her to react that way. It may be something that you say or do without realizing it, or it could be something that she is not even aware how she is responding! As a parent, you are in the position to teach her how to have positive relationships with others. When you handle it calmly, honestly, and respectfully, you will be a role model for her in her future relationships.

0
0