jsop12345
jsop12345 asks:
Q:

I'm confident that I can keep my middle school daughter safe at home but what about when she visits friends?

I'm reading how to keep my child safe at home but what about when she visits friends.  I have no control over who they contact there.

If you know your middle schooler is a social climber and a risk taker, how do you build in self-monitoring skills?  I can't be everywhere she goes.  She thinks she's protected herself by creating a fictitious profile but she doesn't realize she can still be a victim.  I don't know enough about this to open her thinking.
In Topics: Motherhood

|

Edu-Katherine
Edu-Katherine writes:
Judy, this is a really important discussion. I hope our other members chime in on this one and share their ideas and experiences.

First of all, here is a great article you might find interesting and helpful:  

http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Teens_Internet/

My first thought is that you may want to talk to the parents of the kids your child is visiting and see what kind of boundaries they have set for Internet use in their house. If you are concerned, you  may want to go as far as asking those parents to not let your child use the Internet from their house. While it may be fun and it may be what all the kids do when they're together, if it's against your rules then it needs to be enforced on visits.

Let's hear what everyone else has to say on this.  Chime in, everyone!

Edu-Katherine
Community Team

0
0