waynejuan
waynejuan asks:
Q:

Should I continue teach my 6 year old son 7th grade math?

My son just turned 6 years old today. He is in kindergarden right now. He is a typical 5,6 years old boy with a lot of energy. He started to read chapter books at early age of 4. Finnish all magic tree house series several month ago. He is doing well in swimming, piano, Spanish and Mandarin. He is good im memery. He memeried most of Disney songs. I started to teach him Math at age of 3. HE is pretty much finished 6th grade math. I did not expect him to finish that fast. But he did catch the concept fairly fast. Should I continue teach him 7th grade math?
In Topics: Helping my child with math, My gifted child

|
missdeb1986

Best Answer!

Be sure his cognitive ability goes along with the math ... and MAKE sure he has a grasp of numbers - not just remembering math skills and drills. It's more important to have a good "number sense."

Also, teach him as much as you want ... let him explore, however and choose what he wants to do. If he likes it, go ahead ... if not, he may resent you and end up acting out.

Also, try to get him to a gifted school or program.

4
2

binita
binita writes:
i 've got 5 year old child.will be 6 in 3 months times.i really enjoy teaching my son.he enjoys learning with me too.but with the right speed.if he had enough for the day he will says,not now mum.but when he studies he does study.what i am trying to say that if your son doesn't say not now mum......then i would stop otherwise not. and i donot know in which country you live in.but here in u.k.,i 've seen so many books(arround 50,60.......or more)for the variety of the exercise.for e.g. maths is not anymore just learning 1,2,3,4,...
or just 4+5= ? i 've exercise books with so much variety,which i guess i didn't learn that way at that age.like graphs,sequence of the sums and 4 + ? = 9 and so on........in short look for variety of work,if he is hungry for the maths work,let him have variety of the work,not just the routine one main school book.
i hope this will help.

0
1
teachwindsor5
teachwindsor5 writes:
I would work on my spelling skills before I went any further... then switch to grammar...

1
2
maryacarr
maryacarr writes:
Wow! That's great if your child is doing that well he should be tested  you will know his true poential and receive some guidance as to how to instruct him. Is he in a gifted program or gifted school for exceptional students. Are you a teacher if not make sure he's in good programs with other children with exceptional abilities and that will give you a good guide line of where he is in among his peers.

0
0
Anonymous