Perplexed
Perplexed asks:
Q:

How do you convince  or influence children that teamwork and being a part of a team is worth it?

Half of the boys in our  very small school would rather be on the side lines watching the football game, playing video games, or in general be sedentary rather than being on the football team.  They are needed to make up enough numbers to be competitive but they choose not to participate because they "don't want to." They say they support the team and want the team to succeed but they do not want to be a part of the effort.
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school, Exercise and fitness

|

There are many team building exercises that can help spark the interest of even the toughest of children.

Such as:

http://www.elementarymatters.com/2013/05/team-building-activities.html

http://www.active.com/parenting-and-family/articles/10-fun-team-building-activities-for-kids

Also, rotating who gets to be "co-teacher" can be helpful.
And, of course making your room a non- tech zone for certain times of the day will be essential to breaking the cycle for some kids.

0
0

TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
I wouldn't play football under any circumstances - I love to watch the game but I don't want to play it. I don't want to be at the bottom of the pile or have everyone notice how slowly I run or have teammates be angry with me for being a slow runner.

Not every child is an athlete and not every person wants to play the challenging game that is football. My school requires every child to join a team but there are several teams from which to choose - even a chess team. We're a small school too and some years we can't have a soccer team if we don't have enough players come out for it.

Football is just not for everybody. I wouldn't attribute it to laziness. I'm not the least lazy but football just isn't my game.

0
0
Anonymous