davina951
davina951 asks:
Q:

my daughter is being bullied and the school wont stop them

my 14 year daughter has been getting bullied since the first day of high school. i have called and gone to the school numerous times to talk to the principals about the threats name calling and harassment . they keep telling me there's nothing they can do . i went to the district they agreed with me talk to the school and told them they needed to do something about it . the school still has not done nothing . what can i do now ? i am so frustrated this has been going on for 7 months her grades have dropped shes always stressed . I don't want to move her schools . i want the staff to do their jobs and stop the bullying . they are juniors and seniors please help

|

Parents can file a formal written complaint to the school regarding their concerns—this should prompt a formal investigation. In this written letter, you can request that the school provide safety plan/support for your child. Provide this documentation to district personnel and/or board of education If you have worked with the schools and feel that there is still no resolution, you can contact your state's Dept of Education.

It is difficult as a parent to hear that your child is experiencing this type of behavior at school. Be sure to talk to your daughter about what is going on at school on a daily basis. ere are some general tips to helping her in the future:

1. Understand/assess the level of bullying--how often, who is involved, etc.
2. Teach problem solving/assertiveness--how could they respond in the future?
3. Communicate openly with the intent to listen and understand, but not to "fix."
4. Help create a network of friends/support systems
5. Promote confidence and self esteem
6. Spend one-on-one time each day to provide support
7. Assess child's social skills/ability to control emotions

In these situations where we can't exactly "fix" the problem, it is important to help kids learn to cope with adversity. If she feels loved, supported and empowered at home it can go a long way in helping her be able to deal with similar issues in the future.

0
0