DeLaraClase
DeLaraClase asks:
Q:

I believe my daughter is emotionally battered. Should I get professional help for my daughter?

My husband violently curses at my 13 year old daughter for the slightest things. She doesn't curse, but every-time he curses at her, she looks like she can kill. She has taken a habit of cutting her wrists and I found the bathroom flooded the other day with blood. She says it wasn't hers and showed me three gruesome bloodied up roosters she was clutching behind her back. And she was smiling. She locks up in her room during meal times and seems isolated from the family. When she went for violin lessons, i took the chance to enter her room and do some "tidying up". I found metallica cds, wall graffiti, and on the mirror were some signs that were written with what i really hope was just reddish brown paint. She had morbid and ancient-like books cluttered everywhere and she tore down all of her prized anime posters. Her grades have dropped significantly: from A's to C's and even D's. Her sense of humor is gone, and i feel so is her sense of humanity. She won’t open up to me and only talks to Sparky, the family dog. She's not using drugs or is into any vice, and she has been a Christian for 3 years now (the whole family is Catholic). I'm worried for her future. What should i do?Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/magazine/article/cutti...
In Topics: Teen issues, Cutting

|

Certainly look into professional help for your daughter.  Any time cutting is involved, professional help is a good idea.  She needs to find better ways to cope with the emotions she's feeling.  You might also want to talk to your husband about his interaction with your daughter.

MKM, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
1
0

M40Seth
M40Seth , Student writes:
Talk to her. She needs help. She is probably having so much anxiety, depression, and rage that she takes out her depression on violence.
You can help her.

2
0
M40Seth
M40Seth , Student writes:
Sorry, another thing.

You need to explain to your husband to leave her alone. Explain to him that she is going through depression and he needs to not talk to her.

0
0
Hi DeLaraClase,

This is a very serious situation. My heart goes out to you! I'm sorry that you're experiencing such a tough situation with your daughter.

I'd suggest that you seek help from a professional (guidance counselor or therapist) as soon as possible. Unfortunately, an online community can't provide all of the individual support and guidance that your family needs -- and it really sounds like your daughter could benefit from professional help.

You've taken the first important step by reaching out for help, now please talk to someone in person with your daughter, so she (and you) can receive additional assistance.

Best,
Alex

1
0