1stacy2
1stacy2 asks:
Q:

My daughter is in second grade and is struggling with reading, how can I better help her, what am I not doing that I should be?

My daughter is at risk of retention.  She has always been a struggling reader since the very beginning but when I read to her she could tell me about the book and do real world relating.  But to read independently was just not happening well.  We always together worked on this and last year she received help at school via a reading teacher.  She saw her this year too and I was told she tested out at dra 24, but at Decembers conferences was advised her dra is 12.  I asked how this is possible because at home she's reading 100% better.  But she does still need assistance.  When she has problems identifying words I have her write them and we practice those all week, by the end of five days she can fluently read that book.  Of course we read others during this time.  She does great on spelling, although, the teacher says she doesn't.  Monday she gets the list, Tuesday the sentences, by Thursday night she can write them correctly, with maybe one or two misspellings.  Test comes back graded from school she gets a 1. Meaning not meeting grade level.  My daughter said teacher tells her yesterday after her reading test, that its "no good".  I asked teacher, she said fluency is not strong enough and she can't re-tell the story.  Homework time spent is 1.5 to 2 hours a  night, not to include reading time later.  What more can I do?  Resources are not there for a tutor. Thanks.

|

You have been providing assistance for your daughter by reading at home and helping her with her spelling work. I, too, am confused when she tests out at DRA 24 and then in December is at DRA 12. The teacher is very direct (and critical) about what is needed. Your daughter needs to work on fluency and comprehension. Please go to the school counselor to see if there are any resources for your daughter. You may also request dyslexia assessment from a diagnostician. Continue to meet with the teacher and include the counselor in the conference.

1
0