buggalena
buggalena asks:
Q:

How can I help my daughter sound out a word and guess correctly what the word is?

My 5 year old daughter sounds out each letter in a word correctly.  She then will do it faster and faster but when it comes to guessing the word she will say something totally different.  Example, she can sound out w-a-s but will say mat or something off the wall.  I just don't get it.  She knows every letter and the sounds each one makes but cannot seem to grasp how to put words together.  

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to make it "click" with her?
In Topics: Speech and language issues

|

Carabv
Carabv writes:
I have got the exact same problem- I was reading up the topic for my 5 year old son (prep this year) and came across your question. On my searches I also found the website supplied. It seems as if its a blending problem, so when reading we must try and blend the word together (you can try and get them to do this by taking a big breath before hand and get them to sound out the letters in one breath...). If you get any helpful tips along the way, please share, I would love to hear. Its just tricky with him, as mathematically and in all other spheres he is way above his class, so I dont want his reading to 'hold him back' as they want to give him extra work during class to do, but cant (iykwim). WIshing you luck! :)

0
0