silverserena
silverserena asks:
Q:

How to deal with pressure?

I'm a freshman in an honors biology class. The first term, I got a B+ average, and I was pretty proud of myself, but my dad said I needed to get an A. Now, it's the second term and I have a C average. I've been trying extremely hard, studying five hours a night, but I just can't seem to do well on the tests. All of my friends are getting A's while I get C's. I'm really scared to tell my dad because of the amount of pressure he puts on me. I don't know what I'm doing wrong! I think it might be due to the enormous amount of stress and anxiety I have during tests, so I can't think straight. I don't want to tell my dad because he'll just start comparing me to my friends. Please give me some advice on how to deal with my dad, and how I can reduce my stress towards the whole situation.
In Topics: Back to school, Teen issues

|

You aren't doing anything wrong. It sounds like you are taking some pretty demanding classes at school and you are right if you are feeling pressure either from your parents or yourself it can be affecting how you are doing on test and in the classroom.

If you don't feel comfortable talking with your dad how about talking with the teacher or your guidance counselor? They should be able to give you some suggestions on studying and even help you talk with your dad.

Boys Town National Hot line
1-800-448-3000
1
0
TeacherandParent

Best Answer!

Different teachers give different kinds of tests - if the test is an essay test you should study for that in a different way than a multiple choice test. Can any of your friends who are getting As help you with the class?

Are your other grades good? How does your mother feel about it? Can your father see how hard you're trying? What would happen if you asked your father to help you with your biology or asked your parents to get you some tutoring?

To me it sounds like it would be good for someone to speak with your father - someone other than you. Does your mother understand? Any grandparents who could help? You already know that your father wants you to do well in school and clearly you care about your schoolwork. To put more pressure on accomplishes nothing good. Try telling your parents that when it comes to biology you need help not pressure. Everybody can use a tutor for something - without some tutoring help I would never have gotten through math class.

Look up deep breathing exercises online - they are ones specific to helping you breathe out your stress. Exercise helps with pressure and stress - when you exercise your body, it sends signals to the brain that everything is ok - exercising- running, walking every day helps the brain to fight off the feeling of stress and pressure.

1
0