Anonymous
Q:

How do I deal with stress from high school?

I am a sophomore in high school and I am preparing to look at colleges. I have taken the PSAT and ACT/PLAN and done well. I get about 3 hours of homework every night, not including studying and reading. I work really hard in my AP and honor classes and maintain honor roll. My biggest problem isn't grades right now; my parents are forcing me to live up to my older sister's standards. Last year I tried to get into NHS (National Honor Society) and was denied acceptance. It does not make much sense though because I have sports and volunteering on my application and a great 4.0 GPA but they still did not accept me. My parents are still making me apply next year but every time I think about my failure to get it, I have a panic attack. I would join more clubs but I am terrible with time management. I am extremely stressed with all the pressure from my parents but no matter how much i tell them that NHS is arbitrary and subjective (considering kids with less activities and lower grades than I were accepted) My main questions are: Is being in NHS a necessity on my college applications? How do I cope with parental and peer stress? Are academic achievements such as outstanding language comprehension and high AP Exam scores enough for college? And finally, how do I stand up to my parents, live up to my sister's standards, AND succeed in my final two and a half years of high school?
In Topics: School and Academics, Tests (preparing, taking, anxiety!), Teen issues

|

Just because you did not get into NHS last year does not make you a failure. Please take that word out of your vocabulary.

You sound like a very bright and hard working student who should be very proud of the accomplishment that you have made thus far in your academic career.

Colleges are looking for well rounded students. Individuals who are involved with different clubs and activities at school. They want students who aren't afraid of a challenge. And it sounds like with the class load that you are taking you are able to meet that challenge.

Please try and have an open and honest conversation with your parents about how you are feeling. Let them know how they are making you feel.

A.
Boys Town Hot line
1-800-448-3000
0
0

blueexorcist4life
blueexorcis... writes:
just give yourself a break if you don't want to follow in your sisters footsteps then find your own path.

0
0
jppells
jppells writes:
hey there. I'm from NY, Hudson Valley. I live on Cape Cod now, have 3 kids, and the youngest is graduating and going to college at SU.
I've written 2 whole responses to you so far, and decided to just send you this:
Carry on. Let your heart lead your life.
Rejoice in the things that make you happy.
Recognize your parents for what they TRULY are.
and by all means, have fun.
You're good...you know this....
and from a musician...'Rock On".

0
0
Anonymous