Dolores
Dolores asks:
Q:

How can I discipline my child to behave in school and at home?

My 6 year old son is talking in class to much and is bringing home U and N in conduct.He is doing good in school with his grades but his talking is out of control.I don't know what to do,I have taken the T.V. from him told his T- ball coach and tried having earn a wii,I would give him a dollar a day for his good conduct grades.I don't understand why.      

Dolores

|

Establishing a good motivation system for your soon is a good decision. It also sounds like you have tried to correct his behavior through negative consequences. Continue with the consequences as he will, with time, change his behavior. Taking his T.V. time away from him is a consequence enough and age appropriate.
Can you talk with the teacher to come up with a plan at school? You might want to try a system where he can earn a star or a check mark even at school? You can praise him when he is able to do well. You may not see instant results and some days will be better than others. Kids are not perfect each and every day. When he is good, he needs to know it! Make sure you are encouraging, and reminding him to do his best every day. Your son is trying to understand the expectations of him while at school. Is he being disruptive at school due to his constant talking in class? Is he able to communicate to you why he talks so much in class? Are you able to take some time to observe him at school? Be patient with him as he is able to get good grades, remember to reward him for this too!
If you need someone to talk to, you consider calling the Boys Town National Hotline at 1-800-448-3000, we have counselors available 24/7. We talk to kids and parents about various issues. Good luck and let us know if we can be of any further help!

0
0

KidAngel
KidAngel writes:
Dolores,
So your 6 year old is a little chatty Charlie. In my class room experience with little 6 years olds I found that when they just could not keep there lips shut it was usually caused by one or two issues or sometimes both. One is your son may be a bit emotionally young for school and is very interested in the social interaction that goes along with the classroom or because he is doing well in school he could be bored.
 Second, it could be his diet. Yes, we€™ve all heard it before and it is a valid point. Write down your Son daily meals for a few days. See if you can see a pattern where he may be consuming a lot of sugar products or caffeine products. Both of these food elements have been proven to cause hyperactivity in children as well as adults. Read food labels, Mom, you will be surprised at the amount of sugar some products contain. Most children€™s breakfast cereal contains an awful lot of sugar and that is how we send our children off to school. Even the €œpop-tarts€" are loaded with sugar. Chocolate milk is heavy in sugar and caffeine. These are just a few examples.
 Finally go and speak to his teacher about the recomendations here and see what her/his opinion may be. His Teacher is the one that has your son for the majority of his day. I believe that by you working in conjunction with his teacher you will come up with the correct solution.

Barbara Antinoro
Founder
Kid Angel Foundation

0
0