debbiebritish
debbiebritish asks:
Q:

Do you think an early childhood teacher should clean a child when he or she messes up?

In Topics: Preschool

|
Karen36625
Karen36625 writes:
Hi Debbie

I notice your name and assume you are from the UK.  I too am British.

I am a preschool teacher in FL and I absolutely do think an early childhood teacher should clean a child! Personally, I would feel neglectful if I I didn't.  I teach 3-4 year old's and most still need help even if they are making a good effort themselves. I would be mortified if a child in my care went home unclean.  'Early childhood' when little ones need help and guidance to learn and become independent.  I can not fathom how someone in this feel would feel this is not a part of the job.

1
0
charitymarino
charitymarino writes:
I think it is important to get the child's cooperation in helping and learning how to clean themselves up. This also depends on the age and development of the individual child.

Also, I think when you go into working with preschool aged children you know there will be hygiene help needed. They need help putting sunscreen on, getting hair ties unstuck, and yes, wiping their bottoms. Potty training is a process and learning to wipe is one of the many steps.

A teacher cannot teach the importance of being clean if they do not help the child clean up. What message does it send the child if they are left messy? It might create a feeling or disconnect, neglect, and it is down right uncomfortable.

So my answer is no. It is not okay for a preschool aged teacher to leave a child a mess.

1
0