Anonymous
Q:

How can I get the education I missed in school as an adult?

I don't feel like a stupid person. I'd like to think that I'm very smart. Everywhere I go, people get the impression that I'm "some smart guy." I think this is because of the way that I talk. However, as smart as I feel, I don't know much. Why? Because I had enormous difficulty paying attention in high school and grade school. I also had to deal with teasing and bullying that I was very sensitive to. At some point in time I just gave up. I was very withdrawn, and I began justifying my actions with comments like "when are we going to use this?"

I could go on and on and get more personal, but the fact of the matter is I have finished college, and I don't have much more to show for it than the knowledge of my major.

I know that if I truly applied myself in areas like history, math, and English I could have excelled. Science would have been difficult, because it doesn't interest me as much, but I definitely could have done better.

I want to pick up on everything I missed out on. From first grade to 12th grade. I want to improve and study world and american history, math, and english. I want to improve my grammar, and I also want to learn a second language.

What is the best way to go about this? Can anyone recommend any adult education classes, or specific text books? Can doing the programs on this site help?

|

"Smart" has different meanings - creative, academic, successful...Your difficult experiences with bullying in school caused you to withdraw and not "apply" yourself fully. The old adage if I kenw then what I know now comes with wisdom about ourselves. Despite your school experiences, you overcame your negative feelings to complete your degree and begin a career.

Now you have realized the value of education and challenged yourself to increase your knowledge base. There are a number of ways that may offer you valuable experiences. Adult education classes through the community college or school district, online classes, workbooks and audio tapes are excellent venues. Begin with areas that you find interesting and enjoy your journey.

1
0

greenprof2
greenprof2 writes:
It sounds like you are serious, to which I say, terrific! If you have a college degree but want to learn more in areas outside your major, then there are so many options. The best for you, IMO, would be community college. I myself have taken classes offered in my community's parks and rec dept, like ceramics, water color, printmaking, photography, tennis. Some of the larger school districts also offer adult ed classes. Go for it and good luck!

1
0
HeatherPeterson124
HeatherPete... writes:
You don't have to worry about anything. With the advent of the technological age, you can still learn new things and potentially get a degree through online education. They will provide you with things like accounting training and others, or whatever your passion is.

1
0
HeatherPeterson124
HeatherPete... writes:
If you are interested in the arts, you could also opt for interior decorating schools. You're never too old to study again.

0
0
GrahamPatterson
GrahamPatte... , Teacher writes:
This issue can be resolved very easily. With the platform of online schooling and education gaining momentum and immense popularity in recent times, getting enrolled in any accredited online schools for resuming school education or even at university level for fulfilling different degree programs and courses can be accomplished easily. Hence with this facility at disposal, it becomes quite prominent and easy for students to resume education in a convenient and hassle free manner.

1
0