Anonymous
Q:

Are there any educational lessons in the movie UP that I should be reinforcing with my second grader?

We saw the movie UP this weekend and thought it was a funny, sweet movie. Aside from its entertainment value, though, are there any educational lessons that can be derived from this movie? How can parents or teachers use this movie to create positive 'learning moments' for children?
In Topics: Children and screen entertainment (TV & movies), My child's growth and development, Family fun / holiday celebrations

|

Hi, I shared this question with others and received this answer from a child psychologist...

"Here are some of my thoughts on potential lessons from UP:

First, the balloon salesman, Carl Frederickson, has a lifelong dream to visit South America. At first, he believes that he can only accomplish his dream with his wife, Ellie, in the traditional method of travel – flying in an airplane. Because he is somewhat boxed in by his preconceived ideas of how to visit his beloved continent, he doesn’t really know what to do and how to make his dream a reality following the death of Ellie, until he is forced out of his comfort zone (his house is surrounded and overcome by urban development). He finally conjures a new way to travel and new opportunities, experiences, and friends are opened up to him when he “thinks outside of the box.”

Second, “living” is so much more than just eating and breathing. You can’t wait for things to happen, you need to create opportunities for yourself; Otherwise, you are barely making use of your full potential and ability to live a vibrant life."

Education.com is also hosting an UP Merit Badge Challenge (through November 29, 2009) that connects learning activities with the movie. More information about the challenge is located here:
http://www.education.com/merit-badge-challenge/progress/

1
0
Anonymous