Parent4213
Parent4213 asks:
Q:

Can an educator, teacher or principal disclose a child's ADHD?

I haven't disclosed my child's ADHD to her school because I am trying to protect her. Is this unfair to my child?
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), ADHD & attention issues

|

Information such as ADHD can be quite helpful for educators to assist with a child's education.  If you request for this acknowledgement to remain private and confidential among the staff that need to know then it should remain so.  Ask for this request in writing with the letter dated and signed.  Make sure that copies are included in the child's folder, too.  Also, please don't forget to include the school nurse, especially if she is on any medications or other medical treatments.

However, on another note, ADHD is a medical diagnosis with psycho-social implications and you should not feel that you need to hide this diagnosis.  Many children with ADHD are the bright shining stars in their classrooms and go on to be very successful adults.  As an educator, I always appreciated knowing if a child had any medical or developmental disorder so that I would be able to modify any lessons or progams to match their needs (e.g. such as more frequent breaks or shorter assignments)  You may wish to learn more about ADHD and how to interface with the school personnel regarding this diagnosis at the website below.

Owner of Signing Families
http://www.SigningFamilies.com

1
0

Windy1
Windy1 , Child Professional, Parent writes:
Back-to-school means a new year, new teachers, new situations...and for your child, a new school. In the excitement, hopefulness and anxiety of a new year, sometimes parents may neglect to openly communicate with the teacher about their child’s ADHD. This communication, however, is key. Your child’s teacher needs to know about any issues that can impair his learning, social situations and general school life. The teachers needs to know about your child’s interests and strengths, too. Your collaboration and open rapport with the teacher is vital.

Without information about a child's ADHD, teachers are left to make assumptions. They can only guess what may be causing the problems. It becomes more and more likely that your child may be labeled in negative ways as a “difficult student” or “behavior problem.” When there is understanding and knowledge about the ADHD, teachers can respond and intervene in ways that are helpful and productive.

As this new school year begins (or even before it does), talk with your child’s teacher about the ADHD. Share about the strategies that worked in his previous school - as well as those strategies that did not. If your son had a 504 plan or IEP in place at his previous school, make sure the new teacher has all of this information, too. Start the year out on the right foot. Don’t withhold information in hopes this year will be a better one. Be proactive. Establish a trusting and open relationship early on. This partnership with the teacher - now and throughout the school year - is an important part of any educational treatment plan.

1
0