LouiseSattler , Child Professional asks:
Q:

Do educators in schools with deaf students know basic ASL in case of an emergency?

I am currently researching if basic sign language (or Spanish) is known by school personnel to use in an emergency situation to ensure the safety of children who are from homes that use American Sign Language or Spanish?  

Thank you for answering.  Feel free to indicate another language you feel is needed to be used in public schools on a basic level to keep children safe.

In Topics: My Relationship with my child's school, School safety (not bullying), Speech or language impairment

|
For educators too shy to respond to this question, or too embarrassed to admit that they aren't prepared for communicating with students in sign language during an emergency, here is a resource you may find helpful...

Sign Language for Emergency Situations -- ASL, English, and Spanish, a new DVD from Signing Families

Trailer/preview video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zX3YObehuU

DVD for purchase here: http://www.signingfamilies.com/Store.htm#ESDVD

I'm also including some other relevant resources below.

1
0
LouiseSattler , Child Professional writes:
Dear Denise-

Thank you for your response! I fully understand that the use of ASL or Spanish in our schools may not seem relevant to many.

However, the fact is that ASL is the fourth most common language in the U.S. and Spanish is second!  Thus, given the times of instability in our world it would only seem relevant that we need to address the needs of our children who do not use English as their primary language.

Of course, it would be great if educators could learn basic communication skills of the languages spoken by all the children in their care in the event of an emergency.  This may be accomplished by having the parents write basic phrases that can be available in the classroom of children with non-English based homes.

Thanks again for answering this question.

Regards,

Louise Sattler

1
0
Anonymous