frogdogdog
frogdogdog , Parent asks:
Q:

What does it take to enter the field of synthetic life or life technology studies?

J. Craig Venter and his team at Synthetic Genomics announced the creation of an entirely artificial life form. This is a very exciting -- and frightening -- time for science.

If kids want to study genetics and enter the world of designer organisms and the incredible potential it has to offer (both in terms of discovery and the massive industry it will spawn), what are the prerequisite courses they need to study prior to college?
In Topics: Jobs/Careers, Helping my child with science, Getting ready for college

|

I shared your question on Facebook, and received the suggestion that the student study biology and chemistry. I also suggest that the student talk to the high school guidance counselor.

When I was in high school, I participated in a career exploration program that the school partnered with the local Rotary Club to host. We were able to sit with professionals in our areas of interest and see what they did in a typical day. We also got to ask them lots of questions about what they recommend we study. It was very valuable for the student participants, and I would suggest that students see if their local Rotary Clubs are still offering such programs.

Below are resources on Education.com that may also help. Thanks for asking!

1
0
Anonymous