freya31
freya31 asks:
Q:

What extra educational support can I give my 6 year old?

My daughter is 6 years old (just) and is in primary 2. I have just received a time to meet with her additional support needs teacher at school?? This is all news to me. I have never heard from her teacher that she is struggling with any aspect of her education. Needless to say I am very annoyed, not that she needs additional help, but that they have failed to inform me.
   I want to go and meet with the school (before the said date and time given) and get some explanation into what's going on. Is this wise? What should I be asking? Also what support should I be providing at home to try and help her?
Thanks very much
In Topics: School and Academics, Learning issues and special needs, My Relationship with my child's school

|

DrBMelton

First, realize that your daughter may not be struggling as much as you imagine. The school is offering "additional support". What does this mean? Go to the meeting to listen and learn what your child needs to be more successful. Ask what help is available during the break.

0
0

catherine.h
catherine.h writes:
At home you an make learning into games

2
0
freya31
freya31 writes:
Thank you :)

0
0
genermcmillan
genermcmillan writes:
please give the best motivating ideas, If you interested in writing or any relative task with education please give the below link, it giving a good idea about education.

0
0
MomSOS
MomSOS , Child Professional, Caregiver, Parent writes:
You are wise to consider meeting with your child's teacher and ask for some more in depth information about your child's needs.
You can ask to have some examples that show your daughter is struggling and back up the determination that she needs additional supports.
You can ask what support you can provide at home to co-ordinate with the support they are going to provide at school.
If you have not already done so, you might sit down with your daughter and ask her if she is having a hard time with anything. You can ask her what is happening at school and what she likes best. Sometimes kids will tell you the struggle by saying what they don't like.
Follow your instincts to go in and talk things over, and you might politely inform the teacher that going forward you would like to be informed in a more timely manner. Lots of luck with this.
Bette J. Freedson, LCSW

0
0
MomSOS
Bette J. Freedson, LCSW

0
0
Anonymous