jrwest100
jrwest100 asks:
Q:

Failing the 6th grade

My son will be failing the 6th grade. His teachers blame it on his not handing homework on time, and not being prepared for  class. When asked if his homework is done, I am told"I did it at school" but then get a report saying it is incomplete or not done at all. When he does study, he usually gets the info enough to get decent test grades.
Unfortunately, I have to work evenings so that I can get him on the bus in the AM (we have no neighbors to rely on) and therefore I am not home most eves to "hold his hand" which seems to be what is needed. My spouse is not academically inclined, and can't help.
What should we do?

|
heart-attac-elisha-tx
heart-attac... writes:
you could contact people for tutoring to help him until you get back but you should also get to know the tutor so that you could trust them with your child, and help the tutor understand what your son is missing. what dose he not understand? or you could ask one of his friends if they are good in that subject and maybe the could help him and understand better than he used to. i am a 6th grader also and i just took a math staar test and i used to not be good in math but i asked for help. now i am passing. ps that was today when i took the staar test.

2
0
BMelton , Teacher writes:
You are very worried about your son and know that working at night is not easy on family responsibilities. Your husband choice to not show interest in his son's schooling is not acceptable. He needs to step up and follow through on holding his son responsible for turning in his work.

It sounds as though your son is able to learn but is making poor choices. What are the consequences for his behavior? He may be restricted from television until he brings up his grades. Ask for weekly reports from his teacher(s). He needs to be responsible for getting these reports. Talk to the school counselor and ask for tutoring and counseling support.

1
0
Angela431973
Angela431973 writes:
Does your son have problems focusing? Has he been tested for ADD/ADHD?  The forgetting his homework/turning it in late is common for ADD/ADHD. He may not be "HYPER" but distractedness/ forgetfulness are symptoms, their minds have a constant motor running. Of course there is medicine for this to help focus and it has helped my son, 4th grade, greatly.  I hope this helps.

0
0
genermcmillan
genermcmillan writes:
Mother and father are equally important on take care of the studies of their son , and you are working but try to understand your problem of your son and make a proper way of approach.

0
0
jeffreyevers
jeffreyevers writes:
Hello Friend, you must find out some time for preparing your son for examination. if you have enough time to spend with your son it is better to arrange him tuition classes.

0
0