Anonymous
Q:

Fair spelling test for 1st grade

Each week my 1st grade child has had 10 spelling words. Two weeks ago the teacher decided to start adding 4 previously used spelling words to the test and a dictated sentence. This is not a bonus section.

I also just found out the two 1st grade classes are split into 3 groups and kids move to different rooms with their group for the test. The kids are no longer in their regular classroom for the test. Of course this was exciting for my child. I feel the excitement of the location change affects focus.

I think it is unfair to add 4 unknown words. Even though the kids have studied them before, they are still "new words" for the grade level. I think it's unreasonable to add this stress and expectation with this level of recall. And combined with the class regrouping, new testing locations, and sentence dictation seems very unreasonable for 1st grade.

This is not a "spelling test" anymore. My older child has never had "surprise words" on his spelling test, except as bonus words.

My child is still passing, however the grade is lower. It is more stressful with the unknown words. I had suggested possibly using the extra words and sentence as a "bonus" section. This would change the test back to a true spelling test, while adding some fun and removing some of the "recall stress". The teacher will not change anything.

What do other parents and teachers think about the new "spelling test" and changing test locations? Are they reasonable for 1st grade?

Thank yo

|

Spurgirl
Spurgirl writes:
I think including a few previously learned words is a great idea, I believe the point is to retain the words in an attempt to learn to read, not just for a week with the object being perfect scores.

0
0