iss874
iss874 asks:
Q:

Family problems in regards to my children

I have 3 children, 12,9,8 year old. my sitter is a family member(my aunt) i pay her bi-weekly($200) for my aunt to care for them until i get back from work. my children come come on their own. all she need to do is watch them and sometimes feed them.  because most of the time that does not happen, my kids starve until i get from work at 8-9pm. from 3pm that they get out of school. now i have a problem where i have the sitters younger 23 yearold daughter asking me what kind of mother i am, picking up my kids late and that i am not a good mother because i dont take my kids out on the weekends. i really need advise on how to respond to this. i dont want to have a problem with my aunt and her daughter so. please help m. i am a single parent, no one helps me take care of them only me. i pays bills, rent, and have to work until late at night.
In Topics: My Relationship with my child's school

|

Lonnie K. Chin

Hello iss874!   You have the most difficult job in the world raising three children as a single Mom.  I assume you're not able to find a job that would get you home by 6 or 7 p.m. that would afford you enough money to care for your family.  Absent that, have you been able to teach your children certain cooking skills so that they can prepare simple, nutritious and healthy snacks they can eat right after school to hold off their hunger until you get home?  I'm concerned that the children are going to bed quite late if they don't eat dinner until 9 p.m. Children need at least 9 hours of sleep daily.  You did not state whether you work on the weekends or not.   If not, Saturday and Sunday are days you could take your children occasionally to parks, the library, recreational center or other activity that's cost effective. There might be a community center, church, or other youth organization that your children can enroll in to learn, play or participate in art, music or sports activities during the week.  Hopefully, there might be friends and neighbors with children round your children's ages who could share activities and babysitting with you.   Your children's school administrator, teachers, counsellors or social worker could also give you some resources to support you and your children's well-being.  Good luck!

0
0