Mimi916
Mimi916 asks:
Q:

I feel my child was wrongfully suspended!

Hi my child was suspended for calling another child a rag doll after he called her ugly! He stated he was going to kill himself and didn't come to school
The next day! The assistant principle called me to say there was a thorough investigation done and they have strict ant bullying policy's! My daughter and other students state that this child was threatening he would kill himself before her comment! I am appalled I feel that this suspension was to use my child as an example am I wrong for feeling this way?

|

If you feel strongly about it, you should address it with the school.  It's actually great that your school has an anti-bullying policy.  More schools should have one in place.  It sounds like what happened in this incident, is that your daughter struck 2nd and got caught. Was interviewing your daughter and other witnesses part of this investigation?  If not, then as a parent, yes I would want an account of what was reported.

There is no mention of if the other student was suspended for the comment he made.  If verbal name-calling is the violation, then it seems both students would have received a suspension.  The suicide threat is scary.  It is all too real for many families.  Some people use it as a manipulation tool, but often times it is how a person truly feels, and when they feel hopeless enough, it happens.  Again, you cannot help how you feel, so you are not wrong for feeling this way.  Whether this youth was suicidal before the incident or not should not affect the decision.

Laura - Crisis Counselor
0
0