Latina61
Latina61 asks:
Q:

I feel that the vice principle is bullying my daughter (that has a learning disability), what can I do?

|

It is difficult as a parent to hear that your child is being bullied.  It is especially difficult when it is the principal.

The best advice we can give you is to document every instance of what happens and when.  After compiling some evidence, take your concerns to the superintendent or the school board and let them know what is going on.  Try not to enter this meeting with the superintendent or school board with a confrontational attitude, instead try to approach it with a sense of teamwork to make the situation better.  See if you and they can come up with a game plan and then proceed.  Continue to check in and see if the interventions are effective.  If over time you find they are not, go back to them and let them know.  Continue to try and work with the school instead of against them.  These situations are very tricky and it can be very difficult to resolve them.  If worse comes to worse and you do not think that the school environment is healthy for your child and you feel powerless to change it, than you may want to consider a transfer or home schooling.

We hope that you find these suggestions and advice helpful.  Please take care and remember that you can call the Boys Town National Hotline 24 hours a day at the number below, free of charge to discuss any parenting issue.  We are here to help, you are not alone!

Chris, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org

0
0

RianaS
RianaS writes:
I have the exact same situation going on myself with my son who is under special ed with learning disabilities.  I'd contact a good advocate for advice. You need to document everything done to your daughter. Events, how they were handled, what was said, actions taken.  You can file a formal complaint with the Principal, Superintendent and School Board. School officials with power should be held to a higher standard and the example of the school and no parent should fear their child's well being at the hands of the one's set to protect them.  You need to find out which right's she's violating under 504, the ADA or the IDEA or state law. This will need to be in your complaint.  You can file a complaint with their license and with the State School board as well.  I just got off the phone with a Educational advocate for special needs and this is what I'm doing. My son's VP has broken 2 state laws and violated the ADA and IDEA in her actions. I don't really have the money to hire an advocate, but right now this is my best shot as the VP facilitated and told 6 kids who assaulted my child and lied about it, to tell my son everything they did not like about him and what he needed to do if they wanted to be his friend.  My son's adhd, has a sensory processing disorder and emotional disturbance, the last in large part due to schools he's been in from preschool on up physically and psychologically abusing him due to his disabilities. This started when he was 2 sadly.  Now I refuse to allow anyone who abuses their power and trust over a child to not be held accountable for their actions. Your actions depend on what the VP is doing. You can message me any time or email me. My email is rianastasa@yahoo.com. Sometimes the only protection a child has is their parent and hopefully you can get closure and resolve your problem.

Riana

0
0

Chris, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org

0
0

Chris, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org

0
0