Karenmom asks:
Q:

What are fermented vegetables?

In Topics: Nutrition

|
CJA829

Best Answer!

Some examples of fermented vegetables include sauerkraut from Germany and some kimchee from Korea. Both of which use different varieties of cabbage, though kimchee usually incorporates hot peppers too. Radish and other vegetables is another main ingredient of other kimchee.

The process varies slightly by culture, but as with making something like cheese or other fermented drinks/foods involves adding ingredients to a container -like vegetables, salt and whey- and then waiting while the (sometimes icky-looking) process takes hold.

They're low in calories, while containing nutrients, depending on the vegetables used, like vitamin C. And can be really flavorful!

Fermenting food has been around for ages, along with pickling/brining to make foods last longer.

Hope this answered your question!

~CJ
1
0

WoW CJ,
Thanks for such a great answer, the links you provided were very useful and led me to other sites for even more information about fermenting vegetables.  I am looking for healthy food for digestive system, however, I must admit that I'm a little afraid to try this process, but you've got me started in the right direction now ---thank you!!  For anyone else that found this question & answer interesting, & for my own reference purposes, I've provided a site in addition to CJ's of a video demonstrating how to ferment cabbage to make sauerkraut.

0
0