nothappy asks:

how do i find mental health care for my 12 year old daughter.

In Topics: School and Academics, Back to school, Self esteem and identity
> 60 days ago



Allyn Anderson
Mar 28, 2011
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

Finding good mental health providers for your daughter will require a few phone calls on your part. First, call your child's pediatrician; ask to talk to the nurse then ask if the doctor has a recommended list of mental health providers. Also ask if the nurse would recommend that you need to make an appointment with the doctor for your child; sometimes physicians want to see a child in crisis. Also call your child's counselor, school social worker, and/or the school psychologist. These resources deal with mental health resources routinely and could direct you to some who work closely with the schools.

Another way is to ask around. Often ones friends have had experiences with mental health providers or have friends or colleagues who've needed to use this service. This informal, peer network can often provide a positive recommendation for you. Sometimes even talking with your minister, rabbi, or other religious leader can help you find what you are looking for. Don't forget that your own health insurance provider has a list of professionals.

Good luck in your search.

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely