How can foreign citizens get scholarships or financial aid for attending U.S. colleges?

"Hi, I am writing on behalf of my boyfriend, a UK citizen 21 years old. He is currently studying in the US at Iowa Western Community College. He is on the football (soccer) team and currently holds a top record there. He is looking for funding for his next semester there. Could you possibly point me in the right direction? If we don't get funding soon, he will be withdrawn from classes and will have to return to the UK without finishing his degree there and missing out on a fantastic opportunity. Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks."

Asked by Kirsty via email.
In Topics: Financial planning for college, Study abroad, Sports and athletics
> 60 days ago


Answers (1)

kevin_edu writes:
This is a potentially complicated issue depending on the type of visa he has, who issues the aid and what form it takes (loans,grants,scholarships). Talking to the financial aid office at the college he is attending is a good place to start. Additionally, a larger state university like the University of Iowa has financial aid department with more resources and may be able to steer you in the right direction.

NAFSA (listed below) and FAFSA ( are both excellent online resources to get you started.

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely