Anonymous
Q:

Is it a form of child abuse to have restroom priveleges

Is it a form of child abuse to have restroom priveleges taken away in public schools as a form of punishment?
In Topics: School and Academics, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Good question.  I don't know if there is a law that specially states the using the restroom is a privilege or not.  I would check with your local school district about their policy.  

However, as a teacher I think taking away bathroom privileges could be considered unreasonable.  I had the rule (even with my first graders) that if they had to use the bathroom, then tell me and go.  I was not going to stop them, but I did need to know where they were in case there was an emergency.  I also told them that if I noticed that they went too often that I would have to contact their parents to make sure there wasn't a medical issue.  That usually took care of those students who wanted to waste time in the bathroom.

If you have more details about what is happening in a particular situation, we might be able to give you some ideas of how it can be handled.

Barb K
www.LessonPop.com

2
0