Kam152
Kam152 asks:
Q:

I think a girl in my class cuts herself. What do I do?

I just moved and I don't know this girl but I saw her cutting herself with a rock and I saw the cuts on her arm. She wears long sleeves and jackets, even in the summer. What do I do?

|

It's great that you are reaching out for help on this serious subject. Self injury is a way that some people use to express or release emotional pain. This may include carving, scratching on the arm or leg, superficial cuts, cigarette burns, pulling out the hair, or picking at their skin.  

It is important for the person who self injures to express their feelings openly with a person that they feel safe with--often this is a counselor or therapist especially especially in more serious cases. In less severe cases, journaling or other more positive ways of coping with intense feelings can be a helpful way to work through the emotions that are causing her to self harm. If your classmate is self injuring it is important to get someone (like a teacher, counselor or school nurse) involved who can help her and provide support.
1
0

lunie
lunie writes:
honestly nothing I used to cut myself but only I could stop myself you can be a friend for her and slowly start a conversation about it and show her your there for her but that is it. give her a reason to smile and she will find out there is no need for it maybe tell a parent but that can get you in trouble as well

0
2
tafreymiller
tafreymiller writes:
I am an RN and a Licensed Professional Counselor.  Without knowing much about the child, usually the source of cutting has to do with pushed down anger and to 'feel something' whether it hurts or not. This is that outlet for her.  If the child can't, won't, or isn't able to express anger and hurt directly at the source, it is displayed inwardly.  So, she is expressing (feelings) her anger and/or hurt through her body.  She definitely needs a friend and a confidant to help get to the root of the problem.  Hope this helps.

0
0
ghammett
ghammett , Student writes:
how do you know she is actualy cutting herself????

0
0
smart-shamim
smart-shamim , Student writes:
why don't you talk to her parents about it and also you may have a quick search about problems like this.

0
0
emily-
emily- writes:
Tell an adult. Tell the teacher. it is not a snitch.

0
0