shawndeebrit
shawndeebrit asks:
Q:

Do I have to give my daughter's school access to her medical records for an IEP?

I'm having a disagreement with my daughter's school wanting my daughters medical records for IEP and I wouldn't sign for it and now they have social workers involved. Is it a law that for placing my daughter in a special needs program they need the records???????? Also how do I choose a good school for my daughter that has a good special needs program???????
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), Special needs

|

Allyn Anderson

This sounds as if there has been some miscommunication. It appears your child is being considered for special education for the first time. If this is correct, then a committee, including yourself, would have identified areas requiring assessment prior to consideration of eligibility and then of placement into special education. This would include: educational testing, psychological testing, a social history of the child being considered (which could include birth history, school history, medical concerns, etc.), speech and language assessment, and even possibly an assessment for physical and/or occupational therapy.

If the school is asking for medical records, there is a reason for this. In order to qualify for special education, especially if qualification is being considered in the area of a learning disability, medical information may be critical. Sometimes schools consider another label called "Other Health Impaired." If this is the case, medical records are needed to support the documentation to allow a child to receive special education services, which will be fully expressed in an Individualized Educational Plan.  Give the school a call; talk to the psychologist, social worker, or school counselor. Ask them to help you understand why this typically private information is needed.

3
0

kellysfinn
kellysfinn , Parent writes:
Hi Jalaine,<br />
<br />
An article that might be helpful about the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) can be found at:<br />
<br />
&nbsp;http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Education_Act_IDEA/<br />
<br />
This might be a helpful overview on your rights as a parent as well as your daughter's rights. &nbsp;Often parents feel that it is important to be involved in creating their child's IEP so I hope the school can help you with this.<br />
<br />
Do any other parents have experience choosing a school for their special needs child?<br />

0
0
ilovechefwilliam
ilovechefwi... , Teacher, Caregiver writes:
I think that as a parent you have every right to have a disagreement about the school and medical records.  I teach children with autism, and parent communcation is my main goal.  I believe that parents are the most important part to a chids education whether they are special needs or regular education.  I would talk to the teacher first about why the medical records are needed.  If that doesn't work, I would talk to the diag.  I know that schools need medical records sometimes so they can have the overall picture of the child.  I also know that if they want to recommend OT or PT then medical records are needed.  What area are you in to look for schools?  
Good Luck!

0
0
carat77
carat77 writes:
My son has a 504 plan, which is medical related. I did have to submit paperwork from his doctors stating his diagnosis, but not all of his medical records.  They should only require information needed such as test scores or evaluations which made them decide she needed the IEP in the first place.  You should ask what information they need exactly and go from there. What you really need right now is an advocate for your daughter and yourself to help you with what is required.

0
0