lms1949
lms1949 , Teacher asks:
Q:

What are some good strategies to help a grampy connect with an autistic grandchild when the majority of our contact during the year is through SKYPE?

We live 12 hours away by car from our children and grandchildren. The oldest 'little one' is five. I get to see them a couple of weeks in the summer. I've been trying to bridge the distance using SKYPE. Sometimes, I start singing a song the grandchildren like or bring little finger puppets into the camera range. Of course, I can play the laughable, old fool, too. I'd like to do more so that when I do get to actually visit it won't be so much like 'grampy' is a 'stranger'.
In Topics: Technology and my child, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

You sound like a wonderful Grandparent and perhaps you can obtain one of the cards or books which allows you to "read a story" or "say a message". These are often available at local bookstores or card stores.  

You also can record using a small camera so they can view your message repeatedly.  In addition, cooking lessons or storytelling about YOUR life may be really great to share.

Here is one link: http://www.hallmark.com/recordable-storybooks/

Enjoy!

Louise Sattler, NCSP

0
0
Anonymous