piguimd
piguimd asks:
Q:

My first grade son is nervous about an upcoming SAT test.  How can I bolster his confidence, and what materials exist to help him succeed on it?

My son is totally freaking out about this, to the point he got off the bus this afternoon and he told me "Mom, I have SAT test on Monday, please don't send me to School" I don't know what to do, I have talked to him and explained there is nothing to be scared of, but I guess they have gone over it for the past weeks in school he is now terrified!! I have trid to look for practice packages in libraries and book stores, but no luck so far....all SAT testing I have found is for 11th and 12th graders, and not for 1st or 2nd graders....can anyone help me out here...I only have the weekend to work on it!
In Topics: Tests (preparing, taking, anxiety!)

|
Redwood_City_Mom
Redwood_Cit... writes:
Hi Piguimd - It sounds like maybe the school is doing some state standardized testing and maybe calling it the SAT?  You're right that the actual SAT (Standardized Achievment Test) is only for highschoolers.  

The important thing is to help calm your son's anxiety.  Can you call the teacher or talk to her afterschool?  My son is in kindergarten and has had a few "misunderstandings" like this.  He always feels better once I go into the classroom and help him talk to his teacher about them.

Let me know what the test was...I'm so curious about why they would call it an SAT.

0
0
kristinlulu
kristinlulu writes:
I'm just as curious as Redwood as to why they would call it the SATs. My son is also in first grade and he has taken standardized tests, one of them was called the Dibels screening for English and I can't remember the other names but I didn't hear SAT.
It also sounds like your school might be putting too much pressure on the kids. Because when my son told me about the testing all he said was that he had to take a test, described it a little to me, and said he was just told to do his best. He wasn't anxious or worried at all. I would find out what the teacher is telling these kids. I've seen a lot in the news about schools putting way too much pressure on kids to do well on these so the teachers and school look good.

0
0
coniptonfit
coniptonfit writes:
The SAT test is a real test utilzed to measure effectivness of the Reading First Grants given to various states as part of the No Child Left Behind Act.  For more information you can check out http://www.ed.gov/programs/readingfirst/index.html.  In my opionion the test needlessly stresses 1st and 2nd grade kids out.  The scientific merit is questionable but the test exists nonetheless.

2
0
michaelbartone
michaelbart... writes:
No worries Pigmuid. SAT is not given in any grade outside of HS. Your son might have been mistaken for SAT/9 or also known as the Stanford 9. The best thing to do is to talk to his teacher, but please don't worry. This month is test month for all schools, so welcome to public education!

1
0
Student_Teacher_Uk
Student_Tea... writes:
In England our year 1's (5-6 yr olds) as well as year 3,6 and 9's, all have SATs tests. I believe that it is a farce and there is a movement to abolish them.
As a trainee teacher who has worked with year 3's and 6's doing their tests it is important to reassure the children to just do the best that they can do and to not worry about. Also let them know that everything on the test they would already have done in class so it won't be anything new.
In England the end of year 6 is when our childen move up to the high school, and the SATs are used to group or set the childen into ability groups so some children are worried about that, but again some gentle reassurance that the schools don't base the groups on one exam only and that you can move up and down groups to suit once they are there.

I think the key to all of this is reassurance from you that you won't be disappointed in your child and that they should just try their hardest.

And at the end of the day that's all we should ever ask!

1
0
4dac
4dac writes:
Actually my child took the 1st grade SAT last year.  They do make a big deal about it in school, but I can help you reduce the stress.  Go to one of the educational stores in your area and buy the practice book and teacher's book for the 1st grade SAT.  Complete one chapter with them each week now through February to get them prepared.  This way they have seen the format and are use to the answers.  It will not stress them out and they will do great on the exam.  It is Florida's Standard Aptitude Test and they will take another one next year!

2
0
sushinorii
sushinorii writes:
I too took tests every year from first grade through eighth, and they were ridiculous. Luckily I didn't have too hard of a time with them, but when I was younger I would always be nervous. We had to take something called the STAR-9 test, and this sounds similar to what your son will be taking. My suggestion would be to not put too much of an emphasis on the tests and then get him a little treat to cheer him up and encourage him at the end of the day, maybe ice cream or something like that.

1
0
kikigirl79
kikigirl79 writes:
I just found a sample star test for my son. He is in 2nd grade. I hope this helps you. Although it is from 2003 I was told that it still is very similar to the ones used now.

2
0
Gwenolabar
Gwenolabar writes:
The test is the Stanford Achievement Test, shortened to SAT (like the past tense of sit ;) )-10.

The math portion of the test is mostly a listening math test.  Questions are read by the teacher.  Students have a booklet with the question and 4 answer choices.  Most of the questions asked are story problems.

The reading portion has a section that is also read to the students, asking them about sounds in words, meaning of words, and to interpret pictures.  There is also a reading section that has passages and questions that students must complete independently.

Hope that helps.

0
0
epatton15
epatton15 writes:
you could have him study each night before bed and maybe practice papers to get it to the point were he can A's the test and tell him theres nothing tobe scared of  and maybe tel him a story when you were a kid and nervous and how it turned out thats what i would do.

1
0
adamsj15k
adamsj15k writes:
It could be the Scholastice Achievment test.  This tests reading and comprehension levels.  It is used as a way of measuring your childs growth in reading.  There are other tests that are teacher created as well to get a bigger picture for your child.  This one tests isn't going to be the only tests that evaluates your childs abilities.  

I am happy to hear that you are involved in your childs learning.  Please consult with your childs teacher and talk with your child about test anxiety.  Tell  him he is brilliant, that he can do well and make sure he gets a good breakfast and is well rested.

Hope this helps.

1
0
NuDiva
NuDiva writes:
The test your son is referring to is the Stanford Achievement Test (SAT).  This test is usually administered to 1st or 2nd Graders.  I guess it depends on the state you live in, so maybe that is why your son is taking it in the 2nd Grade.  I hope this helps.

0
0
MimiR
MimiR writes:
Search of "Stanford Achievement Test."  That'll help.

0
0
VicKyNsarah
VicKyNsarah writes:
I'm looking for any review I can do for my daughter she is in first grade.she will b taking achievement soon .need help

0
0
Koss
Koss writes:
I am a first grade teacher. My school test first & second graders in the spring. It is the Stanford Achievement Test 10. We prepare & test our students in the area of word study skills, word reading, sentence comprehension, story comprehension, problem solving in math and math procedures. This is a check point of data collection for each student. This is not a pass or fail test rather an assessment of their knowledge so that we can track their progress yearly. However at my school my evaluation is also determined by my students success.

0
0
momof
momof writes:
I have the same problem. I could not find any recource about the SAT 10 test for first and 2nd graders. If ther is anyone who has any idea how to help prepare kids at home, please let me know.

0
0
mencinas
mencinas writes:
Every year the kids take the Fairs test starting in Kindergarden, and 1st and 2nd grade take the SAT this is done at the same time the rest of the school is taking FCAT. This year the Kindergarten will be taking for the first time the SAT and it will be done the second week of April. You can go to the Portal site and see the pacing guides and that is what you child needs to do the SAT.

0
0
CarmenEva
CarmenEva writes:
Get the Spectrum Test Prep..they come by Grades and are available in Barnes and Noble

0
0
Show me another question in this topic