Kmoller
Kmoller asks:
Q:

I think that my granddaughter may have Aspergers syndrome.  What do I do?

My grand daughter is in 5th grade and my daughter took her out of school this year to be home schooled due to social issues at school.  She does not follow the norm at school and often is overly honest to others about what she thinks.  The other kids then do not include her for parties or want to play with her and she is left on the play ground alone.  My grand daughter has always had a difficult time showing emotion.  She does not like to be touched.  She does focus on things like the movie Pirates of the Carribean, World Wrestling card collecting.  She laughs at grusome things.  But would protect to the limit any animal being hurt.  She is above average in intelligience and wants to be a paleontologist.  I often have a hard time tracking her activities when she stays with me.  She may go from one subject to the next like being on line to cooking to playing pool or video games.  She does not like boys at all and hates the thought of adults kissing, hugging, it is all gross to her. She can have a discussion with me about many things.  She was with me on a work trip once and told me from the back seat of my car that if gasoline went up to $4.00 dollars a gallon, it would be cheaper for me to fly.  I have always thought of her as walking to the beat of a different drummer.  But now I wonder if she has undiagnosed Aspergers.  Is there a professional out there to help me with an answer so I can help them.
In Topics: Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|
Wayne Yankus writes:
Yes, they are called developmental pediatricians.  Also a child psychiatrist is also qualified to make the diagnosis.

Check with your granddaughter's pediatrician for a recommendation.

1
0
andygudge
andygudge writes:
I am Dr Andy Gudgeon, living in Manila, Philippines, after teaching in the UK for 35 years. I married a filipina girl of 23 in 2000, but when our son was 5, he was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, after "freezing" in every subject at a very fine school. The diagnosis is certain, done by a very highly regarded educational psychiatrist, who stayed with him all day every day for a week. I started reading and learning all I could, but by age 9, it was hopeless. Then I realised my wife's erratic behaviour was also Aspergers, and when our daughter reached 10, I saw it again. At that point, I pulled our son out of school, and have done home schooling with him since then. We both love that, and he is far ahead of other boys his age now. I have developed many resources for him, and learned a great deal, which I am happy to share. I am hoping to create a mini-school for Aspergers kids in UK from next year, probably in Sheffield. I can teach all the maths, physics, chemistry, biology, English, and even French & German, up to age 18, and I will collect a group of mums (maybe dads?) to build interactive social skills, with things like, quizzes, competitions, walking, camping, caravanning, caving, painting, drawing, sports. Anybody near Sheffield welcome to join. Anybody else ... why not try it yourself? So here is my email add  andygudgy@gmail.com and feel free to chat with me there. Aspie women have major meltdowns, which I have suffered from greatly ... does anybody want to sew the buttons back on all my shirts?  After the last one, she suddenly decided I have another wife somewhere, and also that my study table was untidy, and ran away, but I am strong enough to cope with all this, and I will spend ten years preparing my 2 dear aspies for life. My wife's response was to go into DENIAL, which is a disastrous thing for the kids, but still it is a part of the Aspie character. OK over to you. Andy

0
0