Kmoller
Kmoller asks:
Q:

I think that my granddaughter may have Aspergers syndrome.  What do I do?

My grand daughter is in 5th grade and my daughter took her out of school this year to be home schooled due to social issues at school.  She does not follow the norm at school and often is overly honest to others about what she thinks.  The other kids then do not include her for parties or want to play with her and she is left on the play ground alone.  My grand daughter has always had a difficult time showing emotion.  She does not like to be touched.  She does focus on things like the movie Pirates of the Carribean, World Wrestling card collecting.  She laughs at grusome things.  But would protect to the limit any animal being hurt.  She is above average in intelligience and wants to be a paleontologist.  I often have a hard time tracking her activities when she stays with me.  She may go from one subject to the next like being on line to cooking to playing pool or video games.  She does not like boys at all and hates the thought of adults kissing, hugging, it is all gross to her. She can have a discussion with me about many things.  She was with me on a work trip once and told me from the back seat of my car that if gasoline went up to $4.00 dollars a gallon, it would be cheaper for me to fly.  I have always thought of her as walking to the beat of a different drummer.  But now I wonder if she has undiagnosed Aspergers.  Is there a professional out there to help me with an answer so I can help them.
In Topics: Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Wayne Yankus writes:
Yes, they are called developmental pediatricians.  Also a child psychiatrist is also qualified to make the diagnosis.

Check with your granddaughter's pediatrician for a recommendation.

1
0