Q:

Grandparent asks: why can't anything be done about bullying at my granddaughter's school?

"We live in a small town in New Mexico, which is suppose to be 'the pride of the Pecos Valley.' My granddaughter has been bullied since August. Yesterday her friend was jumped by 4 other girls and the principal has known about this for months. All of the girls were suspended. My granddaughter received a text yesterday that said she was next. My daughter talked to the principal and as usual, nothing was done. She was taken out of school for the rest of the year for her saftey. She is a straight A student and I don't understand why nothing can be done.  We also have a zero tolerence policy. So where is it?!!! Why do the good kids get punished and the gangsters run the school?  It doesn't make any sense to me."

Above question asked by an Education.com visitor after reading the article, "Ten Actions ALL Parents Can Take to Help Eliminate Bullying":
http://www.education.com/reference/article/ten-...
In Topics: Working with school administrators, Bullying and teasing

|

The things you've described that are happening at your granddaughters school are very concerning.  I understand why you are so upset about the situation.  It sounds like the school handled the situation that arose on a crisis basis and are trying to keep your granddaughter safe.  It's very important that she stays safe and it's great that they are taking the threats toward your granddaughter serious.  However, the school needs to take a proactive approach to stop the bullying, not just deal with it after it happens.

It's very frustrating for a parent when they share their concerns with the school and they feel like they are not getting the results they had hoped for.  

If your daughter feels like the principal did not respond appropriately to her concerns for her daughter she has every right to take her concerns to the next level which may be the school board or superintendent of schools.  

I encourage your daughter to document her concerns and take those with her when she meets with school officials.  

If you, your daughter, or granddaughter would like to talk to someone about their feelings, they are more than welcome to call our 24/7 crisis line at 1-800-448-3000.

1-800-448-3000

3
0

If it was my child, I would have pulled her out. You have to think of your grandchild's safety first. Then enroll in a church school and homeschool the rest of the year.

1
1
Jeanonlinesafety
Jeanonlines... writes:
Very sorry for what your granddaughter and your family is going through.
Your school system should have filed a police report on these girls and your granddaughters friend's parents must press charges- this is a criminal offense.
Zero police means zero policy, unfortunately many schools are unprepared for dealing effectively with bullying; policies and words are meaningless unless backed up with appropriate actions, awareness, and programs to help both the bully and victim.
One program our school uses is the iLAND5 which prevents bullying and cyber predators when students are online.
Your school has stated they cannot protect students by doing nothing to help.
You must do something so your granddaughter does not take on a victim mentality throughout her life i.e. talk to the area superintendent of schools, contact a school board member, write to the state department of education, call the local police, contact a lawyer, keep speaking up until someone comes to your aid.
Your granddaughter should not suffer because her school refuses to admit a problem.
Jean

0
0