grandmaj
grandmaj asks:
Q:

I believe my grandson has asbergers syndrome.  What can I do to suggest to my daughter that there's a problem?

I have a 3 yr. old grandson that by all I have read and what I see has asperbers syndrome. I have explained to my daughter about what I feel when he was 2 yrs. old She took him to a behavioral counselor and they told her he just was very intelligent for his age but as he gets older the obsessive disorders , his tantrums, his total disregard for familys feelings and just me attitude is just getting worst and it hurts me to see him suffer like this. What can I do to suggest to my daughter that there is a problem without her thinking that I am looking for something to be wrong with him I want to help my grandson before he goes to school and has to deal with kids that do not understand (if this is aspergers) and tease him or try to hurt him.

A worried Grandmother
In Topics: Autism & Aspergers Syndrome, My child's grandparent(s)

|
Wayne Yankus writes:
Your caring feelings about your grandson are admirable.  I would suggest that you speak directly to your daughter as her mother and a concerned grandmother. It might also be worth asking to go along to his next pediatric visit with your daughter or son-in-law and observe the developmental assessment done at the visit. When you leave the office,you will be of the discussion without being judgmental. If they agree, offer to find a developmental pediatrician in your community where he might have a thorough evaluation of his progress.  Good luck with your quest.

0
0
missk
missk writes:
From my understanding, I don't think children that young can be diagnosed with Asperger's anyway (I think they have to be 6?).
Not sure what you mean by "obsessive disorders", but tantrums are completely normal for that age.
I have to ask: Why would you think a 2 year old had Asperger's anyway? It's kind of hard to pick until they are a lot older (hence the diagnosis after 6). TBH I think all you can do is ask if how his pre-school assessment went and be understanding and supportive to your family.

0
0
Abug's mommy
Abug's mommy writes:
My son has Asperger's and he began displaying the characteristics before the age of 1. It took another two years of him hurting himself and me to get a doctor to listen. He was formally diagnosed at 3. Early intervention is the the key! If you suspect he has it, I highly recommend he see someone as soon has possible especially before he starts to attend school because they will have to have an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) in place for him.

0
0