Anonymous
Q:

My grandson has witnessed my father destroying objects.Age 3-4 He started breaking things when angry.Now at 5 once again! Should I be concerned?

In the past my father was very abusive physically,emo mostly towards my mother,never in front of Us until We were teens.My Father is still controlling,emo abusive,bad temper.One even He was angry for no real reason and threw the tv remote so hard he smahed it.My grandson was age 3-4 at the time,and since then has witnessed other things.My grandson began destroying anything at this age when he became angry.My Mother & I have talked to him about feelings,and I have shown him faces of different feelings which is on the fridge.And daily I would ask him how he was feeling,until I saw He understood.I gave him a choice when Angry to punch a pillow I even showed him what to do.Recently He came home from kindergarden very upset and angry,(Because I wanted him to come in for lunch instead of riding his bike)On top of that some boy said something loudly about candy after he left his bus. He went into his room slammed the door so hard that the pic fell off.I thought I would let him cool off in his room,when he began throwing his toys around,and I didn't see this but he deliberately destroyed a plastic basket! How He did this not sure,but he told Me he kicked it.Should I be concerned about this or ignore it?? He is usually a sweet little boy,but now is becoming worse-talking back,turning off lights and shutting the door while grinning.He had time outs but now they no longer work!!

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_...
In Topics: Discipline and behavior challenges, Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

Children learn from adults, and quickly too!  Sounds like you tried many techniques to control your grandson's outbursts without good results.  Now, since he is getting worse, I think that you should discuss your grandson's  behaviors with his regular health care provider.  Occasionally, metabolic disturbances may contribute to behavioral problems.  Your grandson's pediatric provider will be able to rule them out and possibly refer you on to see a child therapist for an evaluation and treatment.

0
0