marie-owen
marie-owen asks:
Q:

Is it possible in New Hampshire for a child to attend a school out of the residence school zone?

I am a single mother and have a 12 year old son who is currently enrolled in Portsmouth Middle School. Due to living and money situations we will have to move to Wakefield as I found a better accommodation and a lot cheaper than living in Portsmouth. Unfortunately, there is only one school in the area and is clearly a big dive down coming from Portsmouth Schools. My son is an A+ student in Portsmouth school and I am afraid that to send him to the one and only school in Wakefield would greatly affect his educational future negatively. I also work in Portsmouth and that is another reason why I wanted him to go to Portsmouth school as Wakefield is quite a distance for him to be left alone in the house. Is there any way I can do to keep him in Portsmouth schools? I can drive him to school daily so transportation is not an issue. Please help, I am crying for answers.
In Topics: Choosing a school

|

Lonnie K. Chin

Hello!  Check with the Portsmouth School District about their policy regarding out-of-district enrollment.  Generally speaking, they will allow out-of-district students only after Portsmouth residents are assigned to schools.  Therefore, you will be allowed to enroll your child if there are any left over seats.  However, since your child is already attending school in Portsmouth, he may be allowed to continue his education in Portsmouth.  By accepting your child, the Wakefield School District will need to release funding to Portsmouth since you are now officially a resident in Wakefield.  You will probably have to fill out a form or write a letter explaining your situation. Your reasons are very reasonable.   Good luck and much success to your son!!

0
0