elizabethfranson
elizabethfr... asks:
Q:

What is the appropriate process for high school selection?

Our son wanted a specific private school, got in and recently changed his mind toward the local public school.  No question in our mind that the private school is a better fit but most of his friends are going to the public school.  How far do we go?    
In Topics: Choosing a school, Parenting / Our Family, Friendships and peer relationships

|

greenprof2

Hi -
I had the same situation. I'm the board chair of a small, innovative high school in Virginia (www.communityhigh.net). I assumed my two teen sons would want to go there, but the older child wanted to play sports and chose to attend our city's large public school. My wife and I decided to let him try out the public high but give him the option to switch out if he felt it wasn't working out. He's completed two year's there and now his younger brother, now completing 8th grade, has decided to join him. He too, wants to play lacrosse. We are not completely happy with the curriculum and policies of the public high, and neither is our older son, but he endures it in order to be with his friends and play LAX. At least we do know that from his K-8 private school education that he had a firm foundation and knows what is important in learning and what is not. We are resigned to the choice of our sons. At least we don't have to pay tuition.

Other than sharing my own experience, I don't know what to tell you, except good luck!  Michael Bentley, EdD, Expert Panel Member

0
0

afreeman
afreeman writes:
Although some schools do provide better opportunities and resources than others, the most important thing is what the student does while attending the high school. I went to a large public high school, worked hard, sought the resources available, and now attend college on full merit scholarship. I hope you will reach a good decision as a family, and this book will likely be helpful for you and your son, wherever he goes

0
0
Anonymous