Shantell72
Shantell72 asks:
Q:

Should I hold back my daughter now that she's gotten "limited knowledge" scores on her 4th grade tests?

Hi, my daughter scored "Limited Knowledge" on her fourth grade tests and I am just not sure if I should send her on to 6th grade next year. I have been concerned the past 3 years with her academic performance but the teachers keep telling me she is fine. I feel like she is just puttering through and not retaining much of what she is learning. My instinct tells me to hold her back, but the teachers are supposed to know whether or not she can handle it, any advice?
In Topics: Helping my child with school work and home work

|

It is understandable that you would be concerned about your daughter's learning and academic performance. It sounds as though she is just barely making it through each grade and the school is continuing to promote her despite the fact that she may not be getting as much out of the curriculum as the other students.

Has your daughter been tested for special education? My worry is that she may have special learning needs that are not being accommodated in the classroom. If she has not been tested, you should request a meeting with her teacher to discuss an assessment. Here is an article to help get your started: http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_ABCs_Advocacy/

For more on special education, check out this section of the site:
http://www.education.com/topic/special-education-guide/

What you need to remember is that there are laws in place that assure that each child has access to a good education, and if there are learning difficulties, the school must develop strategies for supporting the student. I think that it may be time to pursue this route.

As for holding your daughter back, this is part of the much larger discussion of why she is not able to get as much out of school as other students.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Counseling Psychologist
Education.com Reference Team

3
0

4thGradeHell
4thGradeHell writes:
It is in your daughter's best interest to be held back.  Teacher's are following normal procedures by telling you NOT to hold your daughter back.  When I finally came to the conclusion to hold my son back, I wrote the retention letter and the principal called me three times to re-write the letter so she could honor my request, siting issues such as lost of missed school due to lyme and food allergies, and tonsils and adnoids surgery gone wrong.  PERSONAL HELLS FOR A MOM.  And a private tutor for two year and then she declined my request.  Then I had to appeal and then they did it.  Now I am requesting to have him sent to another public school close by.  Holding your child back or even having your child late to school is absent all together AFFECTS FUNDING.  Thank goodness a retired teacher told me to this and I confirmed it at the board of education.  But when you present it to her, tell her the benefits.  Type it up.  Rehearse it with others in the family, neighborhood (but not the neighborhood bully's mom) with extended family.  Did you read the book Outliers.  READ IT.  Just tell her that you sent her too early.  I am so relieve after spending so much time with tutor and flash cards that I am done.  I quit.  I am not going through this any longer.  And no, he doesnt' have a late birthday - March 25, 1999   He was 5 years and 5 months on the first day of school.  Find out the birthdays of the smartest kids in class.  They might have read the book  "The Gift of Time".  I read it and my husband said that because our son was so tall to just let him go on and start K.  I knew it was a bad idea but because he states so little, I wanted to listen to him.  Then I had to get a sealed copy of his college transcripts for a job and got an extra copy to open for myself and saw his grades.  I was like what is THIS!  Hold that kids back.  But remember, stay positive.  Have a slumber party to announce it to the kids.  Invite her friends that will be in her grade and her old friends.  I am not looking for the perfect kid but I don't want him pulled out of class two times a week during social studies to work with a reading specialist.  This is going to be my first summer since his rising 2nd grade summer that I didn't have a tutor and work with flash card.  I smile whenever we talk about his rentention because he is so happy.  Don't talk to educators.  Talk to other people in the community that will tell you who was held back.  The coaches know!

0
1
keelinnkarlee
keelinnkarlee writes:
Your daughter will be very grateful to you to help place her where she can learn at more her own pace. Keeping her with kids her own age just for the sake of that isn't worth the benifit of having her be at ease where she can learn and be "caught up" with the other children instead of being behind, and struggling more then all the other kids. She'll thank you.

1
0