DontKnowWhatToDo
DontKnowWha... asks:
Q:

Should I hold my daughter behind?

My (step)daughter is in 6 grade but based on all her test scores her education is only to a third grade level. She has had an academic testing done and shows that she should be in special education classes. she has now started in such classes but her grades are still failing and she is starting to show behavioral problems too. when we talked with the principle he said, "its not in the best interest of the school to hold her back." I feel it is not in my daughters best interest to be passed to the next grade when she has so many problems. A lot of her teachers and myself believe she has a behavioral problem called Reactive Attachment Disorder which almost traps a child at a younger age developmentally.

|

ttorchia
ttorchia writes:
I am a preschool teacher so I am not an expert on this. Holding her back could hurt her confidence and self-esteem. If the school wants to promote her then they need to be able to accomodate her special needs in 7th grade. The curriculum should be at her pace and fit her needs. The school needsto meet her where she is at and differentiate the curriculum/ instruction for her. This is doable, but takes commitment and understanding on the part of the teacher.
Teri

0
0