Q:

Can I home school my teen who has Aspergers, is bipolar and suffers from sever social phobia?

"Hi, I have a almost 16 year old daughter with Aspergers, bipolar and sever social phobia. School has always been a struggle for her. I am thinking of homeschooling her but not sure where to start. I am not a teacher and not sure how to do it. I struggle academically myself. I did do connections one year with her and it was very hard. Would this be a good match for her? Is this a good curriculum for her if she overcomes her anxieties and wanted to go to college? Are there other sites that would be better fit for her? I sure could use some advice. I am tired of her crying and so depressed how she hates her life and I think she doesn't belong there. We have tried everything. Thank you."

Asked by Shelly via email.
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs, Homeschooling, Teen issues

|

It sounds like you have been through so much with your daughter. Her diagnoses must make it very difficult for you and your daughter to function normally. Because of her diagnoses, it's assumed that she is currently working with a counselor or therapist. Have you asked them their thoughts on the appropriateness of home schooling for your daughter? They may have good insight as to whether that would be the best option at this time. Dealing with social phobia is difficult because you don't want to place your daughter in a situation that makes her feel horribly uncomfortable everyday, but you also don't want to encourage or perpetuate her avoidance behaviors. Depending upon her level of functioning, she will have to be in contact with people in various ways throughout her life, and now is an important time for her to learn social skills.

If you ultimately feel that home schooling is the best option for her, you need to be aware of the laws and academic requirements in the state that you live in. Here is a link that will provide you with that information: http://bit.ly/3vgnrm. Next, look for a program that will fulfill those requirements. Begin by searching the internet for available home schooling curriculum's. Many larger cities have home schooling networks that provide classes for home schooled children such as art, music, and theatre. Check the internet for local support networks near you.  Also look for on-line forums in which mother's that are currently homeschooling their children talk about their successes and struggles with home schooling.  We cannot tell you whether home schooling would be best for your child, but before you make a decision spend some time researching and talking to people that have done it, to decide what's best for your daughter.

1-800-448-3000
2
0

searchthestars
searchthest... writes:
I also have a 16 yr old daughter dx aspies with severe anxiety and social phobia (also suspect bipolar as that runs in the family as well) - has struggled since preschool - so I know all too well what your dealing with - and know your not alone - I began to homeschool her here in California thru a local Charter school which offered a home school program - she met with a teacher once a week - and has done really well - We have decided to have her go back to school for 11th grade as her sitting home everyday and not socializing at all wasnt doing her any good - she needs some kind of social interaction in some way - so she has agreed to go back and give it a try - with the understanding if things get too stressfull she can go back to homeschooling - I dont know what state you live in - I orig came from NJ - and found that there is no support from the local school districts on home schooling - but since moving to California - now its a whole new ball game out here - charter schools galore and home school programs everywhere with the help of local school districts - California has been a savior in our case!

1
0
andygudge
andygudge writes:
I am Dr Andy Gudgeon, living in Manila, Philippines, after teaching in the UK for 35 years. I married a filipina girl of 23 in 2000, but when our son was 5, he was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, after "freezing" in every subject at a very fine school. The diagnosis is certain, done by a very highly regarded educational psychiatrist, who stayed with him all day every day for a week. I started reading and learning all I could, but by age 9, it was hopeless. Then I realised my wife's erratic behaviour was also Aspergers, and when our daughter reached 10, I saw it again. At that point, I pulled our son out of school, and have done home schooling with him since then. We both love that, and he is far ahead of other boys his age now. I have developed many resources for him, and learned a great deal, which I am happy to share. I am hoping to create a mini-school for Aspergers kids in UK from next year, probably in Sheffield. I can teach all the maths, physics, chemistry, biology, English, and even French & German, up to age 18, and I will collect a group of mums (maybe dads?) to build interactive social skills, with things like, quizzes, competitions, walking, camping, caravanning, caving, painting, drawing, sports. Anybody near Sheffield welcome to join. Anybody else ... why not try it yourself? So here is my email add  andygudgy@gmail.com and feel free to chat with me there. Aspie women have major meltdowns, which I have suffered from greatly ... does anybody want to sew the buttons back on all my shirts?  After the last one, she suddenly decided I have another wife somewhere, and also that my study table was untidy, and ran away, but I am strong enough to cope with all this, and I will spend ten years preparing my 2 dear aspies for life. My wife's response was to go into DENIAL, which is a disastrous thing for the kids, but still it is a part of the Aspie character. OK over to you. Andy

1
0
Anonymous