Loddie1 , Parent asks:
Q:

Are there any homeschooling parents with gifted children? If so, how do you alter your regular curriculum for your child's needs?

Please be specific and note this is a homeschooling question only. It does not pertain to the public or private institutions. I need advice on *specifically* altering a regular curriculum. Thanks in advance.
In Topics: Homeschooling

|
Hi Loddie1, I'm not a homeschool parent, but I do have a resource to suggest (if you didn't already self-discover it exploring this site):

Homeschooling the Gifted
http://www.education.com/topic/homeschool-gifted-children/

It includes this article, "Homeschooling Gifted Students":
http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Homeschooling_2/
At the end are some links that may lead you to the curriculum ideas you seek.

Good luck -- I hope another member of the JustAsk community is able to provide some specific suggestions for you.

2
0
wilanna40
wilanna40 writes:
Dear Loddie,

I chose a cirriculum that would allow for multiple grades. Although my son is gifted he also has a learning disability. He was a little behind in Math and English but ahead of his grade in social studies and science. I also have supplemented with homeschool classes at the zoo and science museum. One of the things I did was take out the homework component. We really didn't need it. We have an active homeschool association with clubs, teams ect. I also added a community service component. All this said with all the activities plus the fact that my son can progress as quickly as he wants he is much happier. We have lots of resources at his finger tips. For us it really wasn't the content of the cirriculum as much as what we added to it. I picked the ACE cirriculum because it is contained in a workbook format and that gave him a sense of accomplishment at the end of each section.

1
0
edconsultant
edconsultant writes:
I have a couple of children who are in a high school program which I specifically chose because it is self paced. Self paced curriculum is great for the gifted student because it allows for acceleration where the schools would not normally accommodate. In a traditional setting, a gifted child would sit idle while the mainstream works and the learning deficient struggle to keep up. Not so with a non traditional format. My sixteen year old is nearly finished with her high school requirements because she was able to move ahead with the topics that she had a firm grasp of and pace herself through areas that she was not so gifted in. In addition to her high school curriculum she also attends a local community college and applies those classes toward her high school program while earning college credit.

This is just one option for the student who is easily bored and needs more of a challenge. You don't mention your child's age but if he/she or they are younger I would take advantage of being home educated and work in a text that is appropriate and not necessarily grade level. It is not uncommon to have a fourth grader working in a seventh grade science text or beyond. It is not unusual for a seventh grade student to be tackling high school algebra. Third graders can sometimes handle advanced literature. You know your student's strengths and weaknesses. Feed the strengths more food and work through the weaknesses in a more isolated and one to one manner perhaps in smaller doses so that there is time to meditate upon and solidify understanding.

The sky is the limit for the gifted and the life long learner- enjoy!

Monique Zarcone
M.A. of Ed in Teaching and Learning

1
0
Hockeygirl21
Hockeygirl21 writes:
Hi Loddie1,
    I am am homeschooled and gifted. I use Switched on schoolhouse and I love it. I get bored easily but they break it up which I like. I (I teach my self mostly because I prefer it that way) I cut out the reports mostly accept in English which makes it easier to work ahead. I am almost 14 and will be graduating in June.

1
0