message4ladonna
message4lad... asks:
Q:

I'm about to finish my associates soon (psychology). I need help with what to pursue.

Im planning on going onto get my Bachelors and Masters. I chose to do psychology because that is something that I am interested in and it has alot of possible opportunities as well as if I decide to go on and earn my PhD. I done a little research and I am in the state of TN, so some of the jobs that I would be interested in are jobs where a psychology degree would be required and others a social work degree. I need info on both TN and KY but are these degrees equal or is one better than the other? Can you be a psychologist in either state with a Masters what is required?
In Topics: Jobs/Careers, Getting ready for college

|

I'm always excited to hear from folks who are pursuing the field the psychology. As a psychologist, I am, of course, biased, but I think that psychology offers a lot of interesting opportunities and flexibility as a career.

I do not know the specifics of TN and KY, but I think a good place to start would be to ask yourself what types of professional and career activities interest you the most. If you are interested in acting as a counselor or therapist, you can provide these kinds of services with a Masters or Doctorate. If you are really only interested in providing therapy and other clinical services, a Masters degree would probably be sufficient. A doctoral degree in psychology is generally for folks who are interested in research or teaching (at the university level as a professor). Of course, many doctoral level psychologists just provide therapy, and they are able to charge at a higher hourly rate because they have more education and training than a Masters-level therapist.

You asked about social work and psychology degrees. I don't believe that one degree is "better" than the other, although one may be a better fit for your interests. Social work is concerned with the contexts and environments in which an individual works. Social workers typically work closely with schools and community-based programs to get the necessary services in place that an individual might need. Psychology is slightly more concerned with the individual's internal experience. Psychologist still collaborate with schools and community organizations, but they typically help individuals more through therapy that starts with the individual.

Officially, psychologists must have a doctoral degree, but the one exception is "school psychologists" who have a Masters degree. There is an exemption in the American Psychological Association's guidelines that allows them to call themselves psychologists. Otherwise, Masters-level therapists are not supposed to call themselves a "psychologist."

For more on psychologists and social workers, I have provided some useful links below.

Good luck with your education and training!

Laura Kauffman, Ph.D.
Licensed Psychologist
1
0

HeatherPeterson124
HeatherPete... writes:
Psychology is really an interesting field to pursue. Many students are also taking up online psychology degrees. You could try looking for programs online that will be able to provide with your education needs.

0
0
HeatherPeterson124
HeatherPete... writes:
That's a very interesting question. There are a lot of online college/ program available online. Psychology is a very interesting course. It is best if you could pursue your degree into Bachelors and Masters. It would be best if you could choose a college that offers quality education and is accredited at an affordable price.

0
0
jamesgarrison
jamesgarrison , Teacher writes:
It is very important for students at this point of time to seek a proper educational consultant that can help him in solving this problem. Being an educational consultant myself I have seen many such students who at one stage and point of time become stuck and are in a problem regarding what they need to do with their life. It is precisely at this point of time when the role of an educational consultant comes into play to help the student in getting this resolved as per the interest of the student.

0
0