LDSolutions
LDSolutions , Child Professional asks:
Q:

What impact do stay at home dads have on children?

I am curious.  Because so many more moms are currently forced to work due to our current economical situation and dads are being laid off, I am seeing more and more dads staying home and raising their families while mom works.  What impact do you suppose this has on sons and daughters. Because this isn't the "traditional" role -  will this have an affect on their own relationships later in life?
In Topics: Work/family balance

|

Best Answer!

It depends if the father feels incompetent as a stay-at-home parent. Some men feel degraded and depressed that they can't provide for their families. And sadly, some mother's make them feel this way due to resentment. However, if both parents are agreeable to it and view it in a similar manner, then it could be very positive for the children. I usually say what ever the feelings of the parents are is what is going to have an impact on their children. The positive a family is about raising their children whether it be mom at home or dad at home is the best environment for them. The attitude in today's society is very different really in every aspect. Growing up in the 60's a stay-at-home dad may have been deemed a loser simply because child rearing had the mom-at-home stereotype. However, today we can see the changes in our society. Some are not for the better but some are.
Being a stay-at-home parent is one of the most rewarding and difficult jobs on this planet. I think the more dads that are willing to do it and realize that it is a job ( meaning you have to clean, cook, bandage boo boos, etc.)and do the best they can, it will produce very good citizens :)

2
0

bob , Parent writes:
I think (or hope) that it leads to a more balanced family, less like the nuclear family of the Cleavers where "Dad" is more of a fixture than a parent.  If the hypothesis is "the total interactions between adult children and their parents is no different whether the stay-at-home parent was the father versus the mother" then I'd be hard pressed to predict whether that hypothesis would be refuted in a methodical survey.  It's easy to cite benefits on the parent-child relationship from having the parent always at home, and it seems easy to list out specific benefits of have Dad stay at home and Mom not at home...probably other responders will fill that in.

But, even if there is a statistical difference in the groups of families where the stay-at-home is Mom versus Dad, the current situation of having more stay-at-home dads is likely to be temporary.

My opinion.

1
0