jpinon28
jpinon28 asks:
Q:

How do I improve my daughter's listening skills?

My daughter is very smart but she is struggling with her listening and following directions skills.  How can I help her improve these much needed skills?
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|

lravidlearner
lravidlearner , Teacher, Parent writes:
Listening and following directions is an ongoing learning skill.  (I'm still learning it!)  For children in kindergarten, it's important to give directions one at a time, especially if they are struggling.  

So instead of:
"Please put your book away, wash your hands, and sit at the table."

You would say:
"Please put your book away.  Thank you" (when done).
"Now please wash your hands.  Thank you" (when done).
"Come sit at the table, please.  Thank you" (when done).

If your daughter doesn't follow directions when asked, be sure you have her attention and ask her repeat the direction.

If she cannot repeat the direction OR if she does not follow the direction, have her examined by your pediatrician to exclude hearing and audio-processing problems.

In school, teachers work on learned routines with the kids during the first few months of school, so the teacher does not have to issue a time-consuming series of directions every time kids start or change activities (e.g., come in quietly, put your coat here, put your lunch box over there, unpack your bookbag, and start the activity at your desk.)

If your daughter's teacher says she is struggling with the routines, find out what the routines are so you can practice them at home.

Scholastic has a good article on ways you can help your daughter develop her listening muscles:

http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=3746136

0
0