CreativeRachna
CreativeRac... , Child Professional, Teacher asks:
Q:

Is it possible to instill a love of books into a child if the father doesn't read books, and simply uses devices such as the iphone and ipad?

In Topics: Technology and my child

|

Vwindman

Hi CreativeRachna,

We all want children to read.  I have found my students are more engaged when we read stories online or using the iPad.  In addition the Kindle, Nook and other e-readers allow you to adjust font size, bookmark a page you find interesting and they have built in dictionary to reduce frustration when a child does not know what the word means.  If your child enjoys his/her iPad help them choose a book to read and then have them read fifteem minutes a day.  Ask your child what interests him/her so they are engaged in what they are reading.  

I am also attaching a site that can give you tips on reading traditional books.

I hope this helps.

Vicki Windman
1
0

Hi CreativeRachna,

Are you more worried about a love of "books" or a love of "reading"?  Although I definitely have a sentimental attachment to good old fashioned "books", it seems like learning to love "reading" is more important.  I'm not sure we'll be able to keep kids in "books" since the world does seem to be moving in a more electronic direction.  (My son's first grade teacher actually told his class that in a few years he expects he won't have ANY books in his class, he'll just have 25 Kindles.  And this is a ROCK STAR reading teacher!)

Is the father using the iphone / ipad to read?  Or just to surf the web, play games, etc.  

I agree that kids need to see their grown ups reading for pleasure in order to learn that reading is fun.  Maybe the dad could show the kids that he has books and newspapers on his device and he's reading that way?  At the very least he should be asking the kids if they'd him to read to them (paper books or electronic).

2
0
Louiseasl , Child Professional writes:
Hi CreativeRachna-

It is a new age where reading has become "tech" in addition to the traditional methods.  I think if a child sees a parent reading good solid content, such as online magazines and newspapers it says a lot about expanding ones' horizons through the printed word.  Also, as mentioned- eReaders also provide a great method for reading.

Yet, I must admit, I personally like the "feel" of a book and would never do away with the volumes of children's books that grace our shelves.

Thanks for writing!

Louise Sattler, NCSP
Owner of Signing Families™

2
0
tendwayi
tendwayi writes:
In our African culture, the mother plays very important role in setting educational standards for your child.  As a mother, pick up the best or recommended books and read with your son and leave a slot for the dad to use his technology with his son. Although there is need to screen the level of technological gadgets your son is having access to.  Some are good they introduce creativity and give your son to have fun after school.  Although books needs more time than iphone and ipad because books are written according to syllabus and age and I am not sure whether these ipads are used to download school books and literature etc.

0
0