MarcellaDarling26
MarcellaDar... asks:
Q:

My kids being bullied in a very small county where everybody went to school with everybody for generations and we are new.

Hello, I have a teenage daughter being harassed.  We just moved in the area and don't know anyone. This is an almost all-white area; my children part Hispanic and part African American.  The kids here tease and bully foreign exchange students so they obviously do not like kids different from them.  There are two girls and boy who have been harassing my kids during the summer through phone calls and Facebook but we blocked them and their phone number through the phone company.  Well as soon as school started they started up discreetly at first and then all three were talking really loud on the bus about fighting.  Immediately after getting off the bus one of the girls told her she wanted to fight.  Well my daughter told us and we called the principal.  The principal then talked to her and told her they were just having a bad day and he wasn't going to do anything about it. We thought that was unacceptable and called the county BoE and told them what had happened.  They called us back and said the principal said our daughter didn’t think it was a big deal.  I think she was just scared of telling. Anyway the principal, the parents  even the cops and everyone in town are friends, grew up together, etc.  So there is really nothing I can do.  These kids know that and I feel they will continue to harass my children.  I do not know if this is racial harassment or just harassment because they can get away with it.  Either way this needs to stop.  What do I do now?

|

If you feel that your school is not being cooperative, you may want to put your concerns in writing.  Specific but concise descriptions will be the  most helpful. Providing this document to the school may make them take your concerns more seriously.

If after presenting the school with this documentation and you are still feeling like nothing is being done then you might consider taking the following steps.

Share with documentation with the local board of education.

Keep all documentation and correspondence that occurs between you, and school official

If you have worked with everyone within the school district and feel that there is still no resolution, you can contact your state's Dept of Education.

A.
Boys Town National Hot line
1-800-448-3000
0
0