Gordy
Gordy asks:
Q:

Why can't kindergarten children be met by their teachers when dropped off by parent ? A 5 year old should not be left to walk alone to their room !!!

In Topics: Back to school, Parenting / Our Family, School safety (not bullying)

|

AnnieFox

The only person who can answer this question with absolute authority is the principal of the school, I'll take a stab at it... With children arriving at different times (over perhaps as much as a 30 minute period) it would seem impractical to have the teacher hanging out at the school entrance waiting for everyone in the class to show up so (s)he can escort the entire group to the classroom. And how would she know when she (and the rest of the kids) were, in fact, waiting for a child who wasn't coming to school that day? Teachers have lots to do in and waiting for students doesn't seem like a good use of their time.

The deeper issue here seems to be your sense that once your child walks into the school building (s)he may either a) not be safe and/or b) may not be able to find the right classroom.

If you don't feel like your child is safe in the school without an adult escort, you should definitely talk to the principal because something is very wrong.

As for the possibility of getting lost... Most kindergarten students can follow room numbers and within a day or two of learning the way, they are very likely to feel a great sense of pride in getting themselves to the right room where they should be welcomed each morning with a warm smile and a personal "Hello!" from their teacher.

0
0

Hi Gordy,

I answered your other question (http://www.education.com/question/bay-crest-gate-feel-safe/ ) before I saw this one. Again, I suggest contacting your child's principal and teacher, and discussing these concerns further. At my daughter's school, the children (and their parents) lined up on the playground and when the bell rang, the teachers would come collect the children (the parents hugging, kissing and saying goodbye to their kids), and the teacher would escort the students to the classroom as a group. This was true for kindergarten through sixth grade. But every school is different, so please do get in touch with the leaders at your school to learn more about their policies and procedures. Good luck!

0
0
Proudmomoftwo
Proudmomoftwo writes:
I have the same problem. Fortunately I have an older child that walks her to class, but even he can't walk her all the way to the door, he gets stopped by a teacher at the Kindergarten hall and she tells him to go to class.
I hate it! I feel like I am dumping my baby in the parking lot and she has to fend for herself.

0
0
earl
earl writes:
Proposed solution:  As a retired kindergarten teacher my school was concerned for the safety of the kindergarten children first.  To keep them safe, all kindergarten students reported to the cafeteria in the morning where all kindergarten teachers were required to be present waiting for their class to assemble. There was a class area and order for the students to be seated by name.  Visual attendance was taken, and at the sound of the bell the students were escourted to their classroom by their teacher. Most parents walked with their child to the cafeteria to greet the teacher for the day which involved the parent with the school in a positive way.  At the end of the day the students lined up to be escourted out to greet their parents and teachers did a visual match of parent with child to ensure the safety of the child.  Children who were not picked up at the end of the day were taken to the cafeteria where the teacher stayed with the child until the principal arrived. Phone calls were made to coordinate the pick-up.  Kindergarten students were never allowed to be alone with students in elementary grades. Adults on duty as a hall monitor, outside the bus area, in front of, and behind the school were on guard to identify a kindergarten student walking alone and contacted the counselor, school nurse, principal, or janator to personally take the child to the cafeteria.  It was all ISD employees duty to assist all kindergarten students to the cafeteria in the morning, and on the bus or to the parent in the afternoon.  
E.E.H.

0
0
Marebear
Marebear , Student writes:
Hi Gordy,
       I agree with you. Kindergarteners should be supervised at all times. Try contacting the school and express your concerns. You might find that the school is going to be changing the morning and afternoon proceedure. By expressing your concerns to the school, they know that you are trying to help all of the students.
      Another thing you could do is talk to the other parents. See how they feel about this and ask if they have any further recommendations. You might find that a lot of other parents feel the same way you do.
      I hope this helps! Good luck Gordy!
                       Mary

1
0
Anonymous