BriansHoney
BriansHoney asks:
Q:

Kindergarten Retention w/ a late birthday

Hello, We were told that my son will need to repeat kindergarten for next school year. I am very concerned because he is already a 6 year old kindergartener due to his September birthday. I am afraid that being a 7 year old kindergartener will have a negative impact on him. He was diagnosed with conductive hearing loss last month and received tubes in his ears for correction. He has struggled acacemically due to his processing issues related to his hearing. He is testing at a beginner kindergartener level even though he knows the work at home. I feel that he gets anxiety at school because he doesnt feel as smart as his classmates. We begin the IEP process last month as well. So the teacher was told to implement new strategies with him. He has a speech therapist, play therapist and private tutor at this point and has showed substantial improvements from the one on one attention. I am so confused about what to do at this point due to his age. I feel that he has a great chance of getting up to speed over the summer since he now has the necessary help but I dont want to push him too hard and fast either. He also begin having tantrums in class almost a month ago out of nowhere. We are very confused about this behavior which is why we got the play therapist. I am just not sure if repeating kindergarten as a 7 year old in September will affect him negatively or positively. Please help!!
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, Hearing loss and hearing disorders

|
Anonymous